Moulding 101

When it comes to moulding lingo, it seems as if there are many technical terms to learn--and some even sound like they refer to the same exact product. We’ve broken down some of the common terms and phrases you may see when browsing catalogs in search of the perfect piece to add style and character to your next job.



Moulding vs. Moulded vs. Moulding Block: The most basic information you need to know is that moulding is an ornamental strip used to decorate a surface, often used to accent or emphasize the ornamentation of a structure and to conceal surface or angle joints. A moulded edge is a piece manufactured to any profile other than a square or eased edge. A moulding block is a corner system that eliminates the need for difficult angled cuts.



Balusters or Balustrades? Balusters, or spindles, are used to fill an open area between a railing and a floor. This often gets confused with balustrade, which is actually the barrier system including handrails, newel posts and balusters.



Casing vs. Moulding: To case in a door or window is to enclose it with a moulding or series of mouldings. In addition to mouldings, window or door casing might include such elements as corner blocks, a keystone and base blocks. Here are a few other moulding terms that are often confusing:

  • Bottom trim is a trim moulding accessory that can be added to the bottom of a door or window crosshead to create a taller crosshead with more detail.
  • Brickmould is moulding around window and exterior door frames that abuts the exterior facing material of the structure.
  • Crown moulding is a common trend in houses lately. This is moulding used on cornice or wherever an interior angle is to be covered.
  • Dentil moulding is a series of small square blocks uniformly spaced and projecting like teeth, as used in cornice, front entrances and crossheads.
  • Fascia moulding is trim moulding applied to fascia board (horizontal facing board just below the edge of the roof line). A flat board, band or face, used sometimes by itself, but usually in combination with mouldings, often located at outer face of cornice.
  • Shoe moulding is a quarter-round trim applied at the bottom of baseboard where it meets the floor, and sill moulding is designed to resist or shed water away from a wall surface.


Check out all the moulding offerings from Fypon for your next project.

Your cart

Your cart is empty